Jonathan Meiburg is a musician and writer, best known as the lead singer and songwriter for the band, Shearwater, which I used to listen to each day when I was opening up a restaurant in NYC, called Alice’s Tea Cup. A remarkable creature, Jonathan was also a fixture of the band, Okkervil River. Jonathan is not only a musician but also a non-fiction writer whose new book, about birds of prey, is set to debut on March 30, 2021. We welcome him to Bothering the Band with open wings.
1. How do you take your coffee?
With a splash of oat milk.
2. What was your last good deed done?
I think the goodness of a deed is diminished if you publicize it.
3. What’s your favorite river?
The Rewa, in southern Guyana. I have a feeling I’d love the Coppename just as much (which is next door in Suriname), but I haven’t seen it yet.
4. Have you ever heard (or been to) of Alice’s Tea Cup in NYC?
I have not…looking it up, it’s a long way from my neighborhood when I lived there.
5. Do you wear a watch?
Not since 1997, when I noticed I was happier without one.
6. What’s the last shoe you watched?
A vegan Doc Marten (model 2976). Probably the left one.
7. What the hell is a caracara?
Read A Most Remarkable Creature (publication date March 30, 2021) to find out! A splendid time is guaranteed for all.
8. Do you put butter in the fridge or leave it out?
Fridge, out of habit. I tend to forget it’s there.
9. What happens when a room dissolves in Austin, Texas?
It’s replaced with an anonymous, expensive condo/high-rise with pricey boutiques on the ground floor.
10. How do you feel about people feeding seagulls at the beach?
You gotta respect the hustle. Animals who haven’t learned to make a living off of humans in one way or another are in real trouble.